Saturday, January 29, 2011

That was a close one!

Dozer was visiting a friend with me and found some rat poison hidden under a staircase (who has rat poison for Norwegian wharf rats in Oregon?). By the time we got to him, Dozer had consumed it all. I threw him (not literally of course) into the car and we were down to the emergency vet in under five minutes. He was whisked into the back, given an injection to induce vomiting and he produced the poison pellets. I brought a packet of the rat poison with me so the vets knew exactly what he had ingested.

He is home now sleeping due to the medication they gave him. He will be on Vitamin K for two weeks to help with his blood clotting. This is all precautionary, the vet felt they had gotten most of the poison out of his system.

Trip to emergency vet: $189.00
Grey hair on Mum: More than this morning
Taking baby boy dog home: Ecstasy
Peace of mind: Priceless

17 comments:

Mollys Momma said...

Ohh My word I am so very glad you got him to the vet so quickly, you must have been going out of your mind. Poor Dozer and poor you what a horrible end to an otherwise nice visit.
So glad he will be fine though
Love
Momma Tea
xx xx

Kari in WeHo said...

Oh my that is super scary! I am glad to hear that they think they got it all but we are keeping him in our thoughts just in case.

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Mango said...

Dozer! NO! Bad dog! What a scare! I am so relieved that you got the vomit comet going in time to get rid of that rat poison. DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN.

Slobbers,
Mango

Charlie said...

OMG - what every dog parent fears! Good work for figuring out what was going on and taking prompt action!!
- Anne

Janice and Gerald said...

Dozer - since you are my honourary virtual pet corgi, please take better care of yourself, for my sake! I think I got some grey hair today too!!

Sam and Pippen said...

Dude!

That's just not good! We've got our paws crossed that all the yucky stuffs is out of your tummy and that you'll have great puppy dog dreams while you rest and recover!

Sam and Pippen

Painter Pack said...

Goodness! I am so glad you are ok! Rat poison is nothing to mess around with! Our boy Jack ate some when he was about a year old. An old Vet trick if you can't get to the ER soon enough is to pour hydrogen peroxide down their throats. I know it sounds harsh, but it induces immediate vomiting. This is what saved Jack's life because our nearest after hours vet was a good 30 minutes away.

Martha and Bailey said...

Oh my goodness Dozer, don't do that ever again!
That was very scary - and we weren't even there!!!!
Your poor mum - so glad you are OK.
Why anyone would have rat poison conveniently placed for you to eat we don't know but we guess they weren't 'dog' people!
Or even cat/children people!!!!!
love
Martha and Bailey xxx

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe he ate rat poison - I guess dogs will eat anything. I am so glad that you got him to the vet so fast and that he is okay.

sandie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

This, is a dog-mama's nightmare! We're so happy to hear that all is well, although your purse is considerably lighter. All is well, if the dogs are well! Whew!

The Bee Charmer said...

OH! Smoochies to Dozer and to you. We had a rat poison scare one time. There was nothing fun about it! Kiss his precious little head!

Paige said...

I'm so glad he's alright!! What a nightmare!

the booker man said...

ohmygoodness! dozer! you are a lucky ducky boy that your mama got you to the V-E-T so quick like! pretty please don't evarrr scare her like that again! rat poison is bad news bears! (but you can stick to eatin' cat or deer poopie like my big sis asa. bwuahaha.)

*woof*
the booker man

Kirby, CGC said...

I am so glad you got him to the vet when you did and he is okay! Tell Dozer that Kirby and I are glad he is okay!

ocmist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ocmist said...

Oh, Praise God you found out and were able to get him to the vet so quickly! This happened to my aunt's little pom and they didn't find out in time. Grammy

Get better soon, buddy boy, and be more careful of the things you eat! The CCC

Moose said...

Whoa! That sounds not unlike my drug overdose a few weeks ago... Down to the vet bill and all- though if you add in followup bloodwork we hit $230. Did you get that terrible charcoal smoothie too? As for grey hairs- my momma has several and I will not accept blame for more than about half of them!
That is very scary stuff though and I am so glad your mom knew that you ate it and got you there in time!
Sorry we have been strangers for too long buddies. Momma has been bizzzy!